While many people are laying low and giving up their search for that new job, many yet are finding that the Holidays are a wonderful time to connect with people they could not reach before.
I was speaking with someone today that told me that it was the day before Thanksgiving several years ago that he was wrapping up to head home to beat the crowd. For some reason he decided to make a final call to the CEO of a company that he could never reach. Not expecting anything more than leaving a message he was shocked when the CEO herself, not even the admin assistant answered the phone. The discussion led to the biggest account of his career.
Here are the reasons why instead of taking it easy this week before Thanksgiving you can actually make more progress than ever before.
1. Generally there is no business travel over the holidays for decision makers – Due to this fact and the fact there are people there that take the week off, executives and decision makers are not travelling and they aren’t packed with meetings. You can find them at their desk.
2. Most budgets have been completed - The majority of companies have deadlines to have their budgets completed before the holidays. With this in mind, Decision Makers are now planning where they will find that new talent after January 1. Job Seekers know that before January 1 is the time to make their intentions known and not fight the crowd of resumes after the New Year begins
3. People are Friendlier – It’s a short week. The majority of employees are busy talking about family, football, food, travel plans, etc… Though stressful, it is an enjoyable time in the office where people smile and are happy to help you. It’s the Holidays and people are in a giving mood. Let them give you information that will help you in your job search.
4. People want to Help - I mentioned this in the paragraph above, but it’s worth mentioning twice. Ask for Help. Explain your Situation. Find out who you can speak to. This is the time of year when you ask “Please Help”, they generally will. Don’t beg, be professional, but asking for assistance can get you much further this time of year.
5. The people in the companies are setting thier own personal goals - Now is a good time to engage people on their new years resolutions. Talk positively, engage them in conversation, find out their interests by talking about the new year. You will find out things about people now that you never did before.
6. That Evening Drink , Lunch Appointment or other is much easier to do – Executives have a little more time on their hands and don’t mind getting out of the office as much during the holiday season. Use this time to make appointments, meet for coffee, etc.. and network like you never have before.
So set those holiday plans to work your market, make more phone calls, set appointments and create goodwill with the companies you want to work for; and … HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY YOURSELF!!!!